Online Poker

I have registered to play in the PokerStars World Blogger Championship of Online Poker! PokerStars.com is the home of Free Online Poker Games, bloggers can play for free in the exclusive WBCOOP tournament, register here to play: WBCOOP

Registration code: 763324

Sunday 9 March 2008

Tournaments = Way Forward?

Mainly to avoid writing up a tedious criminal law essay, I am updating my blog!

The snooker at the weekend wasn't great. I got a tough draw first round, and with a cue I wasn't used to, played horribly and lost 2-1. Wasn't too disappointed as I lost my chance when I lost my cue, but still would have liked to put in a decent showing and show last year wasn't a fluke! Our team, mainly a team of pool players who to be fair played immense, struggled in a group of death but we regrouped from a bottom place finish to come second in the Team Shield, another BUSA medal to add to my collection.

Anyway, I returned home on Saturday night, absolutely shattered and too tired to even consider playing poker!! After 12 hours kip, Sunday was a day in which I should have been working, but as always end of term complacency kicked in and I played poker instead! This proved to be a decent idea, as I made $82 today.

First, I played a double-stack $3 tournie, which attracted 123 entrants. I steamrollered my way through the field and was monster stack on the FT. At one point, with 4 left I had 240k against 45k, 23k and 50k (or something like that!) Alas, I didn't hit a hand and lost a couple of big pots against the table fish, who kept hitting against me. The 4th place player got knocked out by the decent player at the table, and I ran card-dead. I ended up pushing AJ from the SB against the decent/tight players button raise...and he slowly called with 1010 which held. I then called a push by the fish who was playing any two with ace8 suited, only to be up against 1010. My lead had dwindled and I finally came 3rd, pushing a weak ace in to AJ, which flopped a flush and that was that. Annoying to not get 1st as it was $102, but the $50 I won was still a nice result.

As I was playing the tournie, I was playing a few $6.50 SNGs which went pretty well and I have somehow managed to maintain my ROI, now with stats of:-

Games 476
Avg Profit $1.85
Avg Stake $6
ROI 27%
Total Profit $874

I waited all day for a chance to use a $26 ticket I had won the other night, and decided to play the $32k guaranteed. I had a nice almost double up early on after trap checking the river with AA against a fruity opponent who raised with a couple of high cards. I reached the first break around 220 of 1050 and feeling decent. Then before I knew it I was out!! I had a hand against the table fish (player getting involved in a lot of pots!) Against his min raise, I flat called KJ on the button after the cut-off had also called. Both blinds completed and the pot was around 1200. Flop was K78 and two hearts and the initial raiser bet 600. I had 5.5k behind and raised to 1545. All fold apart from raiser who flat called. I put him on a draw at this point and a trickily paid set was also in my head. Turn was a blank 3 and he checked, prompting me to raise 2125. The pot just had me covered so I thought about pushing but instead raised as felt this was the best way to extract value (thoughts/criticisms?). The river was a blank six but the initial raiser chucked in enough to put me all in, which by this point was only 1700. With the blinds still fairly low and thinking I had let the 910 catch up, I wanted to fold, but knew the pot was too large to and convinced myself he may do this with a missed flush draw. Well, he didn't have 910, but in fact 4h5h for a gutshot straight. Guess I can't really fault him too much and perhaps I should have pushed the turn, but still annoying. I am very keen to keep winning these satellites for these seats though and I know that if I can fund tournaments with SNG wins I can make big money one of these days, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Anyway, I have to be up early to work on my essay so this is a little shorter than usual. I'm looking forward to the end of term now and a few weeks to re-group and get myself ready for a mental two months of work in April and May. So maybe there is room for a little more poker in March!!

Thanks,

147_star

No comments: